General Safety Requirements
Volunteers are required to work in an injury-free manner displaying accepted levels of behavior. Conduct or language that places the volunteers or others at risk, or that threatens, intimidates or offends others, is forbidden.
Drugs and Alcohol:
Use and/or possession of illegal drugs or alcohol while volunteering or on volunteer time are forbidden. Reporting as a representative of HopeKids while under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol is forbidden.
All volunteers working with children and young people must recognize they are vulnerable to accusations of abuse. Allegations made could be false, malicious or misplaced, and may be either deliberative or innocent of such intent. It is necessary for volunteers to be mindful of the need to minimize the opportunities for such allegations.
To ensure that allegations of abuse are prevented:
- Always be publicly open when working with children and young people, avoiding where possible situations where a volunteer and an individual child or young person are left alone.
- If physical contact is necessary, for the purposes of coaching or instruction, this should be done openly.
Conflict of Interest and Ethics Statement
As a volunteer of HopeKids (the organization), I have an obligation to the organization and the constituencies it serves to comply with the highest standards of ethical conduct. I will not commit acts contrary to those standards, and I will promptly report to appropriate organization representatives any such acts by others within the organization. I understand that my responsibilities include the following:
Ethics and Legal Assurance:
- I will at all times: (a) perform my duties in accordance with relevant laws, regulations and organization policies and standards; (b) promote the attainment of the organization’s legitimate and ethical objectives; and (c) represent the interests of all constituencies served by the organization and not favor special interests inside or outside the organization in connection with organization business.
- I will refrain from: (a) violating any criminal or civil law or regulation, the violation of which may reflect poorly on the organization; and/or (b) engaging in or supporting any activity that would discredit the organization.
Conflict Of Interest:
- I will either avoid, or will promptly disclose and recuse myself from any decisions involving, any activity or practice which conflicts with, or can be perceived as conflicting with, the interests of the organization, including but not limited to situations where I, or a relative, friend or business acquaintance of mine, proposes to provide goods or services to the organization for consideration.
- I will refrain from using organization property or resources for personal profit or advantage, or for any purpose not related to the activities of the organization.
- I will refuse any personal gifts, loans, favors or other consideration of more than nominal value from any organization vendor, sponsor or other outside party that would influence, or could be perceived as influencing, my actions or the actions of others.
- During my involvement with the organization and thereafter, I will maintain the confidentiality of any information regarding the organization, HopeKids children and their families, donors and volunteers that has not been released publicly, unless legally obligated to do otherwise.
- I will refrain from using or appearing to use confidential information acquired in the course of my service for unethical or illegal advantage, either personally or through third parties.
Release and Waiver of Liability for Volunteers
The Volunteer desires to work as a volunteer for HopeKids, Inc. and engage in activities related to being a volunteer (the “Activities”). The Volunteer does hereby freely, voluntarily, and without duress execute this Release under the following terms:
1. RELEASE AND WAIVER: Volunteer, for him/herself and his or her legal representatives, spouse, heirs and assigns, does hereby release and forever discharge and hold harmless HopeKids, Inc. and its officers, directors, trustees, employees, agents, insurers and representatives, successors and assigns from any and all liability claims and demands of whatever kind of nature, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from Volunteer’s Activities with HopeKids, Inc..
Volunteer understands that this Release discharges HopeKids, Inc. from any liability or claim that the Volunteer may have against HopeKids, Inc. with respect to any bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death, or property damage that may result from Volunteer’s Activities with HopeKids, Inc., whether caused by the negligence of HopeKids, Inc. or its officers, directors, employees, or agents or otherwise. Volunteer covenants not to bring any action against HopeKids, Inc. for any such injury or damage. Volunteer also understands that HopeKids, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for or obligation to provide financial or other assistance including but not limited to medical, health or disability insurance in the event of injury or illness.
2. MEDICAL TREATMENT: Volunteer does hereby release and forever discharges HopeKids, Inc. from any claim whatsoever which arises or may hereafter arise on account of any first aid, treatment, or service rendered in connection with the Volunteer’s Activities with HopeKids, Inc.. Volunteer authorizes HopeKids, Inc. to act, in its best judgment, on Volunteer’s behalf in case of an emergency.
3. ASSUMPTION OF THE RISK: The Volunteer understands that the Activities may include work that may be hazardous to the Volunteer, including, but not limited to, event setup and cleanup, loading and unloading supplies, interacting with clients and providing clerical support in HopeKids, Inc. offices.
Volunteer hereby expressly and specifically assumes the risk of injury or harm in the Activities and releases HopeKids, Inc. from all liability for injury, illness, death, or property damage resulting from the Activities.
4. VOLUNTARY SERVICE: Volunteer understands and acknowledges that he/she may decline any volunteer role or position at any time if he/she feels such role or position presents a risk to health or safety or for any other reason. Volunteer agrees to advise HopeKids, Inc. of any preexisting conditions that would preclude involvement in any activity.
5. INSURANCE: The Volunteer understands that HopeKids, Inc. does not carry or maintain health, medical, disability or Workers Compensation insurance coverage for any volunteer.
6. OTHER: Volunteer expressly agrees that the Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by local, state and federal laws, and that this Release shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with all local, state and federal laws. Volunteer agrees that in the event that any clause or provision of this Release shall be held to be invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such clause or provision shall not otherwise affect the remaining provisions of this Release which will continue to be enforceable. Volunteer represents that he/she is 18 years of age or older.
7. PHOTOGRAPHIC RELEASE: Volunteer does hereby grant and convey unto HopeKids, Inc. all right, title and interest in any and all photographic images and video or audio recordings made by HopeKids, Inc. during the Volunteer’s Activities with HopeKids, Inc., including, but not limited to, any donations, proceeds, or other benefits derived from such photographs or recordings.
Photographer Photo Release Agreement
I grant HopeKids the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish my photographs as they choose. Photographs may be used for marketing and communications materials, print, and website use. Photo credit will be given when possible. In addition, I grant creative permission to alter the photographs. I understand that this release applies to all photographs taken for the duration of my time as a HopeKids volunteer.*